Monday, July 14, 2008

Living With Menopause: Everyday Tips

It's been a while since my last post. And while every day in life is an adventure I am thoroughly loving life! Several things I have noticed in the past few weeks:
  • I can't remember anything
  • I miss the possibility of becoming pregnant (didn't know THAT would happen!)
  • I feel more myself than ever and more so with each passing day
  • I love my fiance for understanding that when my "shortness of patience" starts he sees it, recognizes is, and doesn't throw it back at me. (more on this later but it allows me to breath and stop so that I am not going into full fledged "ugly" mode!)
  • I can't remember anything
  • I feel free
  • I am eating healthier than ever in my life, exercising more and GAINING weight. Huh. So when I found this little ditty I was happy to know it's probably not just me.
These tips are nothing new and I've read them all before but somehow I never saw (or it never sank in) that you might actually gain weight. But as always, when you know better you do better. So now my plan of attack will have to include this new knowledge! And off I go.... probably to find more vegetables!

Living With Menopause: Everyday Tips: "Everyday Tips for Living With Menopause

Stay Healthy During Menopause
Menopause usually starts around age 51 but can begin as early as 30 or as late as the mid-50s.

During menopause, estrogen decreases, which can lead to many changes in your body. You may find it harder to fall asleep, or stay asleep. You may be irritable. You may find yourself gaining weight around your waist that is impossible to lose. You may have 'hot flashes,' a warm feeling that spreads up your neck and face.

To stay healthy during this time, the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Aging recommends you:

* Eat a healthy diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables.
* Don't smoke.
* Make sure you get enough calcium and Vitamin D.
* Learn what your healthy weight is, and try to stay there.
* Do weight-bearing exercises.

-- Deborah DiSesa Hirsch

Last updated: July 2006"

No comments: